Portsmouth, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Trinity Church
Marked by
Suffolk Chapter
National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
2020
Erected 2020 by Suffolk Chapter, National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era • Religion & Religious Structures • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1762.
Location. 36° 50.107′ N, 76° 18.062′ W. Marker is in Portsmouth, Virginia. It is at the intersection of Court Street and High Street, on the right when traveling south on Court Street. Marker is on the southwest corner of the intersection, on the east wall of Trinity Church between the east door and the bell tower entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Court Street, Portsmouth VA 23704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Virginia’s Hampton Roads, specifically in Coastal Virginia, and in the Hampton Roads Metropolitan Area. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Upper South, in the Tidewater, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Norfolk County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Bernard Magnien (within shouting distance of this marker); Towne Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Trinity Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Commodore Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1846 Courthouse (within shouting

Photographed by Evan Dwyer, October 18, 2025
2. Trinity Church
The church was enlarged in 1829 and remodeled in 1893 but still retains its 1762 core. The north wall of the church, not shown here (this is the east wall) was repaired with stone salvaged from Fort Nelson after the War of 1812. Note the marker is just visible on the wall by the east doorway at a right angle to the National Register of Historic Places tablet.
Another marker is no longer nearby. Confederate Monument (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been permanently removed).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2026. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2026, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 10, 2026, by Evan Dwyer of Richmond, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

