Near Palacios in Matagorda County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ashby-Wilson Creek Community
William Erastus Moore, a New Jersey native, settled in Indianola in the 1850s. After serving with Terry's Texas Rangers in the Civil War, he returned to settle on land northeast of Blessing and named the surrounding agricultural community in honor of Col. Henry M. Ashby, a Tennessee field commander with whom he had served during the war.
Moore operated a ranch in the community, as well as a general store that housed the post office where he served as postmaster from 1890 until 1902. He also freighted supplies by boat at a time when the Colorado raft (logjam) made area creeks, such as Wilson Creek, more navigable. An active member of the community, Moore donated land for the Ashby Methodist Church and the Ashby Cemetery.
Concurrent to Ashby's development, a group of freed slaves established the nearby Wilson Creek Community. Residents there organized the Christ Chief St. Mary's Baptist Church and built a sanctuary where, as with the Methodist and Baptist churches in Ashby, local children also attended school.
The combined Ashby-Wilson Creek Community showed economic promise in the early 20th century, with cotton gins, stores and warehouses, but the population gradually declined. When the raft was cleared and the Colorado River became navigable, Wilson Creek was no longer viable. Plans for a railroad connecting Wilson creek to the Colorado were abandoned. The resulting economic downturn, coupled with wartime population shifts to other towns in the 1940s, led to the now sparse habitation of the area. Still, descendants of early residents remain, as do the memories of the many men and women who made their lives here.
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12862.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 28° 50.08′ N, 96° 7.665′ W. Marker is near Palacios, Texas, in Matagorda County. It is at the intersection of Ashley Cemetery Road (County Road 355) and Farm to Market Road 1095, on the right when traveling east on Ashley Cemetery Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 45 Co Rd 355, Palacios TX 77465, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and on the Gulf Coast. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Grimes Cemetery (approx. 2.7 miles away); Home of Horace Yeamans (approx. 5.2 miles away); Hawley Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); William Walter Pudge Heffelfinger (approx. 5.4 miles away); Old Hawley Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Abel Head "Shanghai" Pierce (approx. 5.4 miles away); Demings Bridge Community (approx. 5½ miles away); Masonic Lodge #411 (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2026. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 11, 2026, by Dave W of Co, Colorado. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.


