Heuchling in Lauf an der Pegnitz in Nürnberger Land, Bavaria, Germany — Central Europe
Reichel’sche Schleif
⎯⎯⎯
Reichel Grinding Mill
1380 erstmalig erwähnt.
Burglehen.
Wasserradgetriebene
Schleifmühle
Bis 1988 in Betrieb
jetzt Museum
Reichel Grinding Mill. First mentioned in 1380. Castle fief. Waterwheel-driven grinding mill. In operation until 1988, now a museum.
Erected by Old Town Friends of Lauf e.V.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1380.
Location. 49° 30.613′ N, 11° 16.829′ E. Marker is in Lauf an der Pegnitz, Bayern (Bavaria), in Nürnberger Land. It is in Heuchling. It is at the intersection of Höllgasse and Leßnergasse, on the left when traveling west on Höllgasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Höllgasse 17, Lauf an der Pegnitz BY 91207, Germany. Touch for directions.
Regionally, it is in Europe, the European Union, Atlantic Europe, Central Europe, the Schengen Area, Western Europe, and the Western World. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Holy Roman Empire.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Lauf a. d. Pegnitz, Reichelsche Schleif / Lauf on the Pegnitz, Reichel Grinding Mill (here, next to this marker); Wassertores / Water Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Judenturm / Jewish Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Ehemalige Kunstmühle Schlicht / Former Schlicht Roller Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Schlicht'sche Kunstmühle und Schleifmühle Reichel / Schlicht Roller Mill and Reichel Grinding Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Liebesbriefe aus dem Forsthaus auf der Insel / Love Letters from the Forester’s House on the Island (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Früheres Forsthaus oder "Einspänn(ig)er-Haus" / Former Forester’s House or Einspänniger House (about 90 meters away); Wenzelschloß / Castle of St. Wenceslas (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lauf an der Pegnitz.
Also see . . . Reichel Grinding Mill Museum (German language). Excerpt (in translation):
The inventory of Lauf's castle estates from 1275 mentions the "mill at the market" and three(Submitted on March 25, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)other mills here on the Pegnitz River for the first time. At that time, the town was not yet fortified – the town wall was only built after 1355.
In 1380 it can be read: "... the grinding mill gives 3 fl (florenus aureus = florins), 1 FH (carnival hen) to the mill and 60 Pfennigs to the town of Lauf." The grinder thus paid dues ("zinste") to the Mauermühle, which in turn was a fief of the castle and obliged to make corresponding payments.
In 1541, the Schleifmühle (grinding mill) is mentioned in particular together with the Mauermühle (wall mill, which no longer exists today): “Near the water gate lies ‘in the walls’ the mill of Michael Nider (5 mill wheels), opened to the city through a small door.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 9 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2026, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.



