Fodor in New Albany in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Disposal of Land in Plain Township
Inscription.
Because three distinct survey methods were used to survey Plain Township lands and are still meaningful, the township can be thought of as a surveyor's museum. The township came into existence by a 1796 act of Congress in which the federal government established a Military District of Ohio to satisfy the claims of Revolutionary War veterans. The act divided the district into townships five miles square divided into four quarter-sections containing 4,000 acres each. These boundaries were surveyed in 1797 after the Battle of Fallen Timbers and the subsequent Treaty of Greenville, which forced Indian removal. Because a veteran was entitled to 100 acres, the southeast quarter of the township was surveyed into 40 hundred-acre lots. From 1801 to 1805, veterans, their heirs, and assignees, none of whom settled permanently in the township, claimed 24 lots. Abijah Holbrook, a land speculator, acquired veterans' warrants for the remaining sixteen.
In 1800, Dudley Woodbridge acquired sufficient veterans' warrants and purchased the entire southwest quarter of the township from the federal government. He sold it two years later to John Huffman for 4,000 gallons of whiskey. Over the next twenty years Huffman then sold off much of that land in metes and bounds parcels, meaning that the land was surveyed somewhat haphazardly by direction, distance, and sometimes description of landmarks such as rocks and trees. In 1810, civilian governance began under the name Plain Township. In 1812, the federal government sold the unclaimed land in the northern half of the township for $2.00 an acre, surveying it, in accordance with an act of 1803, into mile-square, 640-acre sections, a measurement used in the disposition of public lands across the country. The exact center of Plain Township lies on the north boundary of the Swickard Woods Park.
Erected 2003 by New Albany Plain Township Historical Society, Bob Evans Farms, New Albany Community Foundation, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 61-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Indigenous Peoples and Communities • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection
series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1796.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 40° 5.337′ N, 82° 49.082′ W. Marker was in New Albany, Ohio, in Franklin County. It was in Fodor. It was on Swickard Woods Boulevard north of Fodor Road, on the right when traveling east. The marker stands in parking area 100 feet SW of water park in Swickard Woods Community Park. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 7625 Swickard Woods Blvd, New Albany OH 43054, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker was in the Scioto Valley and in the Columbus Metropolitan Area. It was also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it was in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it found itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location: Wexner Community Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nature Preserve & Wetlands
(approx. Ό mile away); New Albany-Plain Local School Campus (approx. half a mile away); Rose Run Park (approx. half a mile away); George and Christina Ealy House and Land (approx. half a mile away); Raines Crossing at Rose Run Park (approx. half a mile away); New Albany Branch Library (approx. half a mile away); Charleen & Charles Hinson Amphitheater (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2026. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,257 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on April 4, 2026, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.


