Mountain Pine in Garland County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Three Sisters Springs History
The springs were first discovered to contain "healing" properties in 1875 by John McFadden who homesteaded the land. The springs name, "Three Sisters," is said to be derived from the fact that McFadden had three daughters. In 1883, the land was taken over by John W. Mooney because McFadden had failed to meet federal homesteading laws. Mooney, in turn, sold the property to Robert Hill in 1904. During this time the springs remained open pools of water around which visitors pitched their tents.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Features • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 34° 37.405′ N, 93° 10.232′ W. Marker is in Mountain Pine, Arkansas, in Garland County. It is on State Park Lane, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 State Park Lane, Mountain Pine AR 71956, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Arkansas’ Ouachita Mountains. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Upper South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, the Louisiana Purchase, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Three Sisters Springs (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Three Sisters Springs History (here, next to this marker); Whittington Park (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mel Ott (approx. 9.2 miles away); Smoky Joe Wood (approx. 9.3 miles away); Fogel Field (approx. 9.3 miles away); Hot Springs: The Birthplace of Spring Baseball (approx. 9.3 miles away); Babe Ruth (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mountain Pine.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2026. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2026, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 26 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2026, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


