Montvale in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in the 1790’s by Jacob Eckerson near an earlier home where he had settled about 1770. The farmstead then consisted of 119 acres. The house was inherited by his son John J. Eckerson in 1810 who owned it until 1870 when purchased by James Ledwith. The frame second story was added in the 1890’s. John Foxlee bought the house and farm in 1917 and it was occupied by that family until 1971.
in National Register of Historic Places
Erected 1984 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 89.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list.
Location. 41° 4.225′ N, 74° 4.084′ W. Marker is in Montvale, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Chestnut Ridge Road, on the left when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 Chestnut Ridge Road, Montvale NJ 07645, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saddle River Reformed Church and Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Slave Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Haring Homestead (approx. 1.3 miles away in New York); Hopper-Goetschius House (approx. 1½ miles away); Scotland Hill Burial Ground 1749-1859 (approx. 2.4 miles away in New York); Pascack Historical Society Museum (approx. 2.7 miles away); Ackerson Homestead (approx. 2.7 miles away); Site of Old Block House (approx. 2.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 988 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.