Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Vinings in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters

 
 
Site: Hardy Pace’s Res., Howard’s Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, April 13, 2008
1. Site: Hardy Pace’s Res., Howard’s Headquarters Marker
Inscription.  Hardy Pace (1785-1864), operated the Chattahoochee River ferry at site of bridge where Pace’s Ferry rd. crosses. Federal forces occupied Vining’s Station, July 5-17, 1864, while preparing to cross at Pace’s & Power’s for the move on Atlanta. Gen. O. O. Howard, 4th A. C., had headquarters at the Pace res., July 5-10. Vining’s temporary terminal of the R. R., was the subsistence & ammunition dump of the Federal army during the siege & capture of Atlanta. Wounded from the Atlanta front were sent to Vining’s where the Pace house was used as a hospital -- later, destroyed by fire.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-84.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Historically Black Colleges and Universities marker series.
 
Location. 33° 52.003′ N, 84° 27.874′ W. Marker is in Vinings, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Paces Mill Road 0.1 miles east of Paces Ferry Road SE, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
near this postal address: 3052 Paces Mill Road, Atlanta GA 30339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 4th Corps at Vining’s Station (approx. ¼ mile away); The 4th Corps Posted Along the River (approx. 0.6 miles away); The 14th & 20th A.C. Cross at Pace's Ferry (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named The 14th & 20th A.C. Cross at Pace’s Ferry (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Errant Pontoon Bridge: Paces Ferry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Pace’s Ferry Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); Palmer’s & Hooker’s A.C. Cross the Chattahoochee (approx. one mile away); Union Defense Line (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vinings.
 
Regarding Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters. The Hardy Pace house was burned to the ground during the Civil War, leaving only a granite step. The present house on the site was built by Solomon Pace sometime after 1865, and has no connection to the Civil War.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsWar, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for Site: Hardy Pace’s Res. Howard’s Headquarters.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,668 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on April 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photo   1. submitted on March 16, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement