Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Mission Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores de Los Ais

 
 
Site of Mission Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores de Los Ais Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 2, 2009
1. Site of Mission Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores de Los Ais Marker
Inscription.  Established in 1716 by Padre Fray Antonio Margil de Jesús. Here faithful Franciscans labored for the purpose of civilizing and Christianizing the Ais Indians. Abandoned temporarily due to the French incursions from Louisiana in 1719. Restored by the Marquis of Aguayo in 1721. The mission also served to confirm the claim of the King of Spain to the Province of Texas.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7627.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative AmericansNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
 
Location. 31° 31.374′ N, 94° 6.948′ W. Marker is near San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on State Highway 147, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 South Broadway, San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Murry L. Wortham (approx. 0.6
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
miles away); James Pinckney Henderson (approx. 0.6 miles away); San Augustine County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Hollis Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Augus Theatre (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thompson Family (approx. 6.2 miles away); McMahan's Chapel (approx. 8.8 miles away); a different marker also named McMahan's Chapel (approx. 10 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
 
More about this marker. On the grounds of the Mission Dolores Visitor Center.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,101 times since then and 28 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 13, 2020