Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hebbronville in Jim Hogg County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

El Colegio Altamirano

 
 
<i>El Colegio Altamirano</i> Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Mansfieldphoto.com, September 27, 2025
1. El Colegio Altamirano Marker
Inscription.
To address the lack of educational opportunities available in South Texas, such as the absence of public schools in many rural areas and the cultural barriers found in existing schools, Mexican communities banded together to form Escuelitas, ethnically Mexican schools that provided a robust education, instilled cultural and linguistic pride, and imparted bilingual and bicultural ethos in their students. The tuition-based schools maintained strong ties to the local community, in 1897, members of the Hebbronville ethnically Mexican community, including Ascension Martinez, Tomαs Barrera, Dionisio and Severo Peρa, Francisco Barrera Guerra and Jose Αngel Garza, pooled resources to create a Hebbronville Escuelita. Don Rosendo Barrera Guerra, from Mier, Tamaulipas, Mexico, became the first headmaster and teacher. Before his death in 1907, Barrera Guerra established the school's celebrated rigorous intellectualism and named the school El Colegio Altamirano, invoking the legacy of Ignacio Altamirano (1834-1893), an indigenous Mexican novelist, pedagogical theorist and Mexican supreme court justice.

Teachers included Don Lauro Diaz, Adelina and Ernestina Carmona, Angela Ramirez, Augustina Dαvila and Emilia Dαvila. In 1929, several women, including teacher Augustina Dαvila, founded Sociedad Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez, a fundraising society to benefit the school. Student life consisted of plays, musical performances and academic events. El Colegio alumni were often praised for academic excellence above their peers from other schools. Escuelitas sharply declined after World War II due to programs such as Head Start and other public-school investments focusing on English acquisition. El Colegio Altamirano closed in 1958. The building, maintained by Sociedad Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez and, later, the Franciscan fathers
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Hebbronville, continued to be utilized for social, community and educational functions for several decades.
 
Erected 2021 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 23481.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil RightsEducationHispanic Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 27° 18.494′ N, 98° 40.357′ W. Marker is in Hebbronville, Texas, in Jim Hogg County. It is at the intersection of East Santa Clara Street and North Pine Ave, on the right when traveling east on East Santa Clara Street. The marker is located along the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 511 E Santa Clara Street, Hebbronville TX 78361, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in South Texas. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, and one of the Confederate States of America.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Old Garza House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jim Hogg County Veterans Memorial Plaza (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The New York Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jim Hogg County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Viggo (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Hebbronville Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); First United Methodist Church of Hebbronville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bruni (approx. 12.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hebbronville.
 
Also see . . .  A little School's legacy. Texas Time Travel (Submitted on October 14, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2026. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 65 times this year. Last updated on June 22, 2026, by Joe Lotz of Flower Mound, Texas. Photo   1. submitted on October 14, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?
m=303637

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2026