Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bacova in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Dinwiddie

 
 
Fort Dinwiddie Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
1. Fort Dinwiddie Marker
Inscription.  Known also as Byrd’s Fort and Warwick’s Fort. Probably built in 1755, it was visited that year by George Washington.
 
Erected 1927 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Q-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesWar, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the George Washington Slept Here, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1755.
 
Location. 38° 4.85′ N, 79° 50.7′ W. Marker is near Bacova, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection of Virginia Route 39 and Dinwiddie Trail, on the right when traveling west on State Route 39. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bacova VA 24412, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bacova (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mountain Grove (approx. 2.7 miles away); West Warm Springs
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named West Warm Springs (approx. 2.8 miles away); Overshoot Wheel (approx. 3.8 miles away); Waterwheel Restaurant Building (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Dinwiddie Mantle (approx. 3.8 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Vanderpool-L Fort Dinwiddie 1756. “Fort Dinwiddie (also known as Warwick's Fort; Byrd's Fort) was a prominent French and Indian War defense located on Jackson River, about 5 miles west of the present town of Warm Springs in Bath County, Virginia. It was erected in 1755. It served as a frontier defense until as late as 1789.” (Submitted on May 4, 2010.) 
 
Fort Dinwiddie Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2010
2. Fort Dinwiddie Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,478 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30366

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024