Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dahlonega in Lumpkin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Station

<---------<<<

 
 
The Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
1. The Station Marker
Inscription.  This is the site of one the forts or stations used by the United States Government in Cherokee country in 1838 to round up the Cherokee Indians for their removal to western reservations. General Winfield Scott, commander of the troops used to assemble and protect the Indians in that period, and his headquarters here at one time.

It is believed that Federal troops also used this station as early as 1830 to guard the gold mines from intruders -- Indians or Whites -- until the question of ownership of the territory was established.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 093-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesIndustry & CommerceNative AmericansWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Trail of Tears series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 34° 29.32′ N, 84° 1.198′ W. Marker is in Dahlonega, Georgia, in Lumpkin County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Autaria Road (Georgia Route 9E) and Tanner Drive, on the right when traveling north on Autaria Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dahlonega GA 30533, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Auraria (approx. one mile away); Calhoun Gold Mine (approx. 2.7 miles away); Mt. Hope Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dahlonega Mint (approx. 3.4 miles away); Price Memorial Building (approx. 3.4 miles away); U.A. Lawson Steeple (approx. 3.4 miles away); William Pierce Price (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named Price Memorial Building (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dahlonega.
 
Additional keywords. Gold
 
The Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
2. The Station Marker
The site is now a heavily wooded area
The Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
3. The Station Marker
Looking south, toward the dead town of Auraria
The Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 2, 2010
4. The Station Marker
Looking north toward Dahlonega
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,882 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=30369

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024