Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Church Hill in Queen Anne's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Luke’s Episcopal Parish

 
 
St. Luke's Episcopal Parish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
1. St. Luke's Episcopal Parish Marker
Inscription.  Founded 1728, when the Provincial Council in Annapolis granted a petition to establish the present parish.

St. Luke’s, the oldest brick church in the State with its original structure, was completed, 1732, at the cost of 140,000 pounds of tobacco. From 1692 until 1732 services were held in the up river chapel, located on the present site.

All records are preserved intact, including births, baptisms, marriages, burials, vestry meetings and special occasions.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1728.
 
Location. 39° 8.526′ N, 75° 59.131′ W. Marker is in Church Hill, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Lane, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Church Hill MD 21623, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Luke's Episcopal Church (here, next to this marker); Church Hill Theatre
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); We Resign! (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Along the Chesapeake (approx. 4.4 miles away); Dudley's Chapel (approx. 5.7 miles away); a different marker also named Dudley's Chapel (approx. 5.7 miles away); Byway Destinations (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Byway Destinations (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Church Hill.
 
Queen Anne's County Marker at site. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
2. Queen Anne's County Marker at site.
St. Luke's Episcopal Church Erected in 1732, at the cost of 140,000 pounds of tobacco the "church on the hill" is the oldest intact brick church in the state and gave the town its name. In 1861, Union cavalry reportedly destroyed the interior of the chruch. However, two wooden tablets, lettered in gold, survived. An 1880 restoration hid the early brick core beneath a Gothic exterior. The small brick building on the grounds was built in 1817 as St. Luke's "parish academy" and is said to be the oldest school in Queen Anne's County. St. Luke's Episcopal Church is on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Luke's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
3. St. Luke's Church
St. Luke's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
4. St. Luke's Church
St. Luke's Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, October 19, 2007
5. St. Luke's Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,178 times since then and 172 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 23, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3099

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024