Near Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Earl of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served as a Superior Court judge, President of the Georgia Senate in 1811, 1817-22, and as Governor of Georgia from Oct. 24 to Nov. 5, 1819. Both are buried here.
W. H. T. Walker, Confederate General killed in the Battle of Atlanta, was a descendant of Sir John Talbot.
The Presbyterians moved to a new building in Washington in 1825.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1866.
Location. 33° 42.895′ N, 82° 39.271′ W. Marker is near Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Smyrna Church Road, Washington GA 30673, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smyrna Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Smyrna Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Grant's Meeting House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wynne-Randall (approx. 4˝ miles away); Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Historic Dugas Home (approx. 4.7 miles away); K.A. Wilheit House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sims-Beggs House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Wisteria Hall (approx. 4.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker. Separate marker for the Smyrna Church is located on west side of South Smyrna Church Road.
Regarding Smyrna Churchyard. The Smyrna Churchyard and Smyrna Church (for which there is a separate historical marker) are located in rural Wilkes County and have been home to a Methodist congregation since around 1820. Prior to that, a Presbyterian congregation met here and began use of the churchyard
After more than two centuries, the cemetery remains in use and most of it is well maintained. There are some older graves which are collapsed or otherwise deteriorated. The churchyard is terraced, with a retaining wall and stairs separating the cemetery, which sits at a lower elevation, from the rest of the churchyard.
Also see . . . Smyrna Churchyard - Find-a-grave. (Submitted on November 14, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Additional keywords. Cemetery
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 904 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on June 22, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 5. submitted on May 4, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. submitted on November 14, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.