Seligman in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Beale Wagon Road
Information compiled by Jack Beale Smith
Erected 1993 by Lost Dutchman Ch. 5917, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Animals • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 35° 19.594′ N, 112° 52.52′ W. Marker is in Seligman, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of Chino Street (Arizona Route 66) and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Chino Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seligman AZ 86337, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other Delgadillo's Snow Cap (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A series of markers documenting the Army's Great Western Camel Experiment.
Also see . . .
1. The Beale Wagon Road. In 1857, Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale was assigned the job of building a wagon road across New Mexico and Arizona near the 35th parallel. Beale had had many years’ experience in the west, first with the U.S. Navy in California, then with Kit Carson and John C. Fremont, and later, on government business and explorations in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and California. (Submitted on June 16, 2010.)
2. Route 66 in Arizona. In 1857, Congress commissioned LT. Ned Beale to survey and identify a wagon road from Fort Defiance in New Mexico to the Colorado River. His route would become known as the Beale Wagon Road across Arizona. Perhaps what makes Beale’s expedition so noteworthy in western annals is that he used camels instead of horses! (Submitted on June 16, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,801 times since then and 78 times this year. Last updated on June 23, 2010, by Chris English of Phoenix, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.