Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Waterloo in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Spurrier's Tavern

'Waterloo'

 
 
Spurrier's Tavern 'Waterloo' Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, October 29, 2007
1. Spurrier's Tavern 'Waterloo' Marker
Inscription.  In 1771 William Spurrier opened a tavern at the intersection of the main routes linking Baltimore, Washington and Annapolis, now US 1 and MD 175. As traffic increased, it served as the first horse changing station for stages southbound from Baltimore; by 1811 the stable offered boarding for 80 horses. After 1815 owner Rosalie Stiers Calvert of Riversdale, a Belgian native, renamed the tavern 'Waterloo' to celebrate Napoleon's defeat. In 1835 a fire and competition from the new railroad put an end to the tavern, but the local area is still known by its name.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 39° 10.386′ N, 76° 46.922′ W. Marker is in Waterloo, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is on Washington Boulevard (U.S. 1) 0.2 miles north of Waterloo Road (Maryland Route 175), on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jessup MD 20794, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Spurrier's Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity on the Pike (approx. 0.8 miles away); Trinity White Oak (approx. 0.8 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Adam the First (approx. 3 miles away); Welcome to Rockburn Branch Park (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Patuxent Branch of the B&O Railroad (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Granite Quarries (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterloo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 7 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 30, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 26, 2021