Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Erected 1971 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 43° 4.739′ N, 89° 23.272′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gilman Street and North Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gilman Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierce House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kendall House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bashford House (within shouting distance of this marker); Quisling Towers Apartments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keyes House (about 300 feet away); Period Garden Park (about 400 feet away); Mansion Hill Historic District (about 400 feet away); Old Governor's Mansion (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Keenan House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "It is said that [Napoleon Bonaparte Van Slyke] changed his mind about living in the house when Laura, his first wife, died. The house was sold to James Richardson, a business partner of Van Slyke and one of Madison's early business leaders... Chauncey Williams, another entrepreneur from New York state, added the 'French' roof in 1870. Dr. George Keenan ... lived in the house with his wife, Mary."
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,609 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on July 1, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.