Upper Marlboro in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Walk of History
Prince George's County, MD
“We walk in the footsteps of those who went before us.”
The 300th anniversary of the founding of Prince George’s County Maryland, was celebrated on April 23rd, 1996. Three hundred years before, in 1696, a new county had been created from lands formerly in Charles and Calvert counties. Since Maryland was an English colony, this new county was named in honor of Prince George of Denmark, the husband of England’s Queen Anne.
At the time of this Tricentennial Celebration in 1996, many community groups throughout Prince George’s County cooperated to create a lasting monument to commemorate the county’s rich and diverse culture rivaled by few other counties in the country. The motto, “300 Years: At Home in History”, was chosen to express this community’s belief that all residents, past and present, have enriched the heritage of this county they call “home”.
The “Walk of History” was conceived as an enduring artifact–a beautifully paved plaza between the County Administration Building and the County Court House. It reminds us that our collective history is important; we walk in the footsteps of those who
Begun in 1996 by the Tricentennial Celebration Committee, the “Walk of History” is an ongoing walk through history and is currently organized by the Prince George’s County Historical Society. Persons and groups are encouraged to become a part of this history as new sections of the brick walkway will be installed through time. For more information please contact the Prince George’s County Historical Society.
On September 15, 1952, twelve interested citizens met at Riversdale in what is now Riverdale Park, Maryland, and founded the Prince George’s County Historical Society. Since then, the Society has grown in numbers and programs, its underlying mission to preserve and foster an understanding and appreciation of the history and heritage of Prince George’s County.
Headquartered at Marietta House Museum* in Glenn Dale, Maryland since 1985, the Society also houses the Frederick S. DeMarr Memorial Library of County History.
*Riversdale and Marietta House Museum are both owned and operated by the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission.
Daniel Carroll II (1730-1796)
A native of Upper Marlboro in Prince George’s County, Daniel Carroll II was appointed to the Executive Council of Maryland and served in the state senate. He was also a delegate to the Continental Congress, a signer of the United States Constitution and an elected Representative to the first United States Congress. Carroll was appointed by President George Washington as a surveyor for the District of Columbia, and served on its first Board of Commissioners.
Sara Miranda Plummer Clark (1842-1905)
Sara Miranda Plummer was born at Three Sisters plantation in central Prince George’s County. Her mother was a slave on that farm while her father was owned by the Calvert family and lived on the Riversdale plantation in what is now Riverdale Park. When Sarah was eighteen, she was abducted, sold and carried south to New Orleans. Six years later, after the Civil War, Sarah’s brother [Henry Vinton Plummer] found her and brought her to her parents’ home at Riversdale. On the night of her return, a vigil was held to give thanks and this marked the official founding of St. Paul’s Baptist Church.
Jim Henson (1936-1990)
James Maury Henson was born in Mississippi
Erected by Prince George’s County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Colonial Era • Entertainment • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1865.
Location. 38° 49.022′ N, 76° 45.029′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on The Walk of History north of Main Street (Maryland Route 725). Marker is accessible to pedestrians on the east side of the "Walk" which extends from the Prince George's County Court House to the County Administration Building, north of Main Street. Main Street is directly accessible from Crain Hwy. (U.S. 301) to the east and from Pennsylvania Avenue (MD 4) to the south via Water Street (MD 717). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This White Oak Tree (within shouting distance Protests at the County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of John Rogers (1723 - 1789) (within shouting distance of this marker); Archbishop John Carroll (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of John Carroll (within shouting distance of this marker); The Right Will Prevail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Filming "Black Like Me" in Upper Marlboro (about 300 feet away); The Site of the Residence of Dr. William Beanes (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Marlboro.
More about this marker. Included in the blue background section of the marker are three seals. The upper left seal is the Prince George’s County, Maryland official seal. The right center is the logo of “Prince George’s County Tricentennial 1696-1996," which includes their motto, "At home in history!" The lower left seal is that of the Prince George’s County Historical Society.
Also see . . . Prince George's County Seal and History. (Submitted on July 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Reconstruction; P.G. County; Tercentennial.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,494 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 30, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on March 31, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 12, 13. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on March 31, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.