Near Richmond in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Falling Creek Iron Works
Three unsuccessful attempts to rebuild the site followed. In 1750, Archibald Cary built a forge, and iron was once again worked at Falling Creek. This operation was destroyed in 1781 by British forces under the command of Benedict Arnold. The forge was replaced by the Ampthill Gristmill, after the conclusion of the American Revolution. This facility operated until 1906, when the site ceased all activity.
Here at Falling Creek, hopes were unleashed, battles fought, and unrealized dreams gradually faded. The Failing Creek
Erected by Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation, Chesterfield Heritage Alliance.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is March 22, 1622.
Location. 37° 26.254′ N, 77° 26.313′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) and Marina Drive, on the right when traveling north on Jefferson Davis Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6407 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Richmond VA 23237, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Route 1 (a few steps from this marker); Historic Village of Bensley (within shouting distance of this marker); Moore's Brick Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Natural History (within shouting distance of this marker); Cultural History (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Historic Village of Bensley (within shouting Historic Route 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Falling Creek Stone Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo with the caption, "The falls at Falling Creek provided the power needed for the production of iron." On the right is "Art depicting the attack on the ironworks in the 1622 Good Friday Massacre."
Also see . . . Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation. (Submitted on July 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,219 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 4. submitted on January 26, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.