Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Common & Creek
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 23
In 1684, William Penn planned his new town, which was later called Newtown. About 30 acres, on both sides of Newtown Creek, were reserved for common use. The town was designed to resemble an open fan of lots surrounding a narrow, rectangular town common that ran along the Newtown Creek.
By mutual agreement, early landowners used the Common as a pasture, with the creek as their water supply. The Common was intended to serve as a village focal point, and was designed to be a gathering place for public speaking, business, and recreation.
The Newtown Creek is a tributary of the Neshaminy Creek, within the Delaware River basin. It runs through the business district of Newtown between State Street on the east and Sycamore Street on the west.
The Newtown Creek attracted many businesses. Early mills, blacksmith shops and other water-dependent trades were powered by the Creek. Unfortunately, the Newtown Common was left unattended and became overgrown, which resulted in the sale of all but one of the public common lots in 1796. You can visit the one remaining common lot at the foot of Greene Street, directly in front of you.
Erected 2007 by The Newtown Creek Coalition and Newtown Heritage Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Natural Features • Notable Places • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1684.
Location. 40° 13.823′ N, 74° 56.203′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street and Greene Street, on the left when traveling north on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 N State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newtown Borough Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Newtown War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Brick Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley (about 500 feet away); Temperance House (about 500 feet away); Elinor Slack Campbell (about 700 feet away); Old Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); William Penn's New Town (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Also see . . .
1. Newtown Heritage Walk. (Submitted on July 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newtown Borough. (Submitted on July 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. All About Newtown. (Submitted on July 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 705 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.