Royal Oak in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House
The Saginaw Trail, running from Detroit to Saginaw through Pontiac and Flint, was originally an Indian trail. In 1816 Michigan territorial government authorized the building of a road from Detroit to Saginaw along the trail. Part of the trail in Oakland County is now Woodward Avenue and Dixie Highway. Evidence of the original Saginaw Trail's path through Royal Oak is still visible as a Depression in the ground running northwesterly across the property adjacent to the John Almon Starr House.
John Almon Starr House
John Almon Starr (1828-1895) and his wife, Nancy Quick (1831-1895), built this house in 1868 from bricks fired in Almon's tile factory. Almon and his parents had emigrated to Michigan from Richmond, New York, in 1831, the same year Nancy was born in Royal Oak Township. Almon and his father, Orson Starr, manufactured animal bells until 1866, when Almon started his brick yard and tile works at this location, later known as Starr Corners. The house was occupied by the Starr family until 1967.
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 31.012′ N, 83° 9.898′ W. Marker is in Royal Oak, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on Crooks Road 1.1 miles west of Woodward Avenue (Michigan Highway 1), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3123 Crooks Road, Royal Oak MI 48073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Firman W. Clawson Homestead Site (approx. half a mile away); Orson Starr Home (approx. one mile away); Roseland Park Mausoleum (approx. one mile away); Berkley Old Village/Fire Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); Royal Oak Township Cemetery / Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Royal Oak (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Royal Oak (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Oak.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,274 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 13, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.