Franklin in Heard County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The first known written record of a journey through this area was made by Hawkins. His system of accurate measurement by elapsed time between points, established at 3 miles an hour on horseback, and his description of streams and terrain make his way easily followed today. A short distance south of here is “a very extensive view westward,” described in his journal.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 074-4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Exploration • Native Americans • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin GA 30217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heard County Jail (approx. half a mile away); Franklin Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Heard County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Franklin Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wehadkee Yarn Mills (approx. 13.7 miles away in Alabama); Pottery Shops in Rock Mills / The Potters of Rock Mills (approx. 13.8 miles away in Alabama); William Hogan Plantation (approx. 14 miles away); Council Bluffs Treaty (approx. 14.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . . Benjamin Hawkins (1754-1816). New Georgia Encyclopedia entry (Submitted on February 7, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 741 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on February 7, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.