Verona in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dane County Home
Both facilities added buildings and improvements as resident numbers and requirements increased, including a "Leper House" for infectious diseases, four miles south of the Farm. By 1900 the original 140 acres had increased to 624, providing farm products for the complex. The dairy operation was phased out during the 1960s.
From the original capacity of 80, the hospital/home population grew to nearly 600 by the 1970s. Many residents who died here were buried in the cemetery west of the hospital. The Badger Prairie Health Care Center now offers treatment for 140 county residents with special needs.
Erected 1995 by Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 31.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public Work • Government & Politics • Notable Places • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 42° 59.621′ N, 89° 30.865′ W. Marker is in Verona, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker can be reached from County Road PB 0.1 miles from East Verona Avenue, on the right when traveling south. The marker is in the park and ride lot off Old County Road PB. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Verona WI 53593, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Mann House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Illinois Central Depot / Fitchburg (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Paoli (approx. 4˝ miles away); Middleton's Beginning (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Dogtown - Fish Hatchery School (approx. 4.9 miles away); Swan Pond (approx. 5.2 miles away); Nakoma (approx. 5.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 939 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.