Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Johnís Church
The Venerable Survivor
The walls remained strong enough to be repaired, with donations from all over the country. In 1869 services resumed, and St. Johnís Church stands today as the only building to survive the burning of Hampton.
Henry Cary, Jr., built St. Johnís Church,
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 37° 1.533′ N, 76° 20.795′ W. Marker is in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of West Queens Way and High Court Lane, on the right when traveling east on West Queens WayTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hampton VA 23669, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named St. John's Church (a few steps from this marker); Hampton Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Elizabeth City Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Laydon (within shouting distance of this marker); Hampton Courthouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); McDowell's Inn (about 700 feet away); The Courthouse (about 700 feet away); The Northeast Corner (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hampton.
More about this marker. On the left are images of “Gen. John B. Magruder” and “Capt. Jefferson C. Phillips”.
On the upper right is a photograph of the “Ruins of St. Johnís Church and graveyard” – Courtesy Library of Congress
On the lower right is a watercolor carrying the caption, “Front view of St. Johnís Church. Destroyed with the town of Hampton by the rebels under Gen. Magruder. Watercolr by Lt. Robert K. Sneden.” – Copyright Virginia Historical Society, 1977
Also see . . . Brief History of St. John's Episcopal Church. (Submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,193 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.