Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Eton in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Federal Road

 
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 13, 2002
1. Old Federal Road Marker
Inscription.  This highway follows closely the course of the Old Federal Road, the first vehicular and postal route to link Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Informal permission to use the thoroughfare was granted by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by a treaty in 1805. Beginning on the southeast boundary of the Cherokees in the direction of Athens, the road led this way via Tate and Talking Rock. At Ramhurst another branch ran by Spring Place and Rossville toward Nashville.

The noted Vann family of the Cherokees maintained a stage stop and stand near this spot.
 
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 34° 49.088′ N, 84° 45.877′ W. Marker is in Eton, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is on Hill Street (U.S. 411
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
) 0.1 miles south of Mount Carmel Church Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eton GA 30724, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Murray County (approx. 3.6 miles away); Fort Mountain State Park (approx. 4 miles away); Legends of Fort Mountain (approx. 4 miles away); Mystery Shrouds Fort Mountain (approx. 4.2 miles away); Springplace Mission (approx. 4.9 miles away); Chief Vann House (approx. 5 miles away); John Howard Payne (approx. 5.1 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 5.1 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 5 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 5, 2020