Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
South Newport News , Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Newport News

 
 
Newport News Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
1. Newport News Marker
Inscription.  This area was first referred to as "Newportes Newes" as early as 1619, and the first known English settler lived here in 1621. Several Civil War engagements took place here including the Battle of the Ironclads and the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Newport News remained a small community until the late 19th century when it became the eastern terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Co. The Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. was founded here in 1886. Newport News was established as a town in 1880 and became a city in 1896. It served as the headquarters of the Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation in World Wars I and II.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number W-76.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWar, World IWar, World IIWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1619.
 
Location. 36° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
58.64′ N, 76° 25.85′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. It is in South Newport News. Marker is on 25th Street near Washington Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jessie Menifield Rattley Municipal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Warwick Hotel 1883-1961 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Victory Arch (about 400 feet away); Newport News Victory Arch (about 500 feet away); Headquarters, Hampton Roads (about 500 feet away); Victory Avenue (about 500 feet away); Welcome Home (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named The Victory Arch (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Also see . . .
1. City of Newport News. (Submitted on August 3, 2010.)
2. Newport News Tourism. (Submitted on August 3, 2010.)
 
Newport News Municipal Center on 25th Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, July 31, 2010
2. Newport News Municipal Center on 25th Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,014 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=33962

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024