Bartow in Pocahontas County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
First Respite on a Rugged Road
Mail delivery along the length of the pike was contracted in 1847, and the new turnpike brought in wayfarers and regular stagecoach routes. The post office of Travellers Repose soon gave its name to the farming community thereabouts.
Yeager's original building was in the line of fire during the Civil War Battle of Greenbrier River, and local tradition says that it was hit by 28 cannon balls. Used as headquarters by troops stationed at Camp Bartow, the structure survived the fighting in 1861 only to be completely burned down later in the war.
Andrew's son, Peter Dilly Yeager, rebuilt the present structure on the original site, beginning in 1866. His building had 22 rooms and space for 28 horses in the barn, and operated as a stage stop and inn under different names, including the Yeager Hotel and the Greenbrier Hotel.
The Travellers Repose post office was located here and remained in active use until 1907. The town was later renamed Bartow in
"This was a favorite place for Stonewall Jackson, who particularly liked the mountain trout and venison at Travellers Repose and stopped here often."
Jessie Brown Beard Powell
The front section of the house is original to the 1866 rebuilding of Travellers Repose. It was a two story L-shaped house constructed of wide native pine boards, with double sandstone fireplaces, three stairways and a wood shingle roof. Outside was a picket fence and boardwalks, with a mounting block and hitching post for the horses.
Following Peter Dilly Yeager's death, the property was bought by his son Brown Buren Beard, whose mother Eveline Yeager had grown up at the top of Allegheny. He tore down the back extension of the house and built a smaller two-story ell with a kitchen and dining room.
Erected by Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike Byway (funded in part by Federal Highway Admnistration).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil.
Location. 38° 32.279′ N, 79° 46.409′ W. Marker is in Bartow, West Virginia, in Pocahontas County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Pike Road (County Route 3) and West Virginia Highway 28, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bartow WV 24920, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blue and Gray / Travelers' Repose (here, next to this marker); Camp Bartow (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Camp Bartow (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Allegheny (approx. 5.2 miles away); Camp Allegheny 1861-1862 (approx. 5.2 miles away); Cheat Mountain (approx. 5.8 miles away); West Virginia / Virginia (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Great Raid (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartow.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 8, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.