Caledonia in Racine County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
By 1832, in what was still Potawatomi Indian Territory, two French brothers, Jacques and Louis Vieau, had the first known trading post in this area – “Jambeau’s Trading Post.”
Erected 1973 by Racine County Historical Society / Franksville Business Men’s Association. (Marker Number 102.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 42° 45.39′ N, 87° 54.165′ W. Marker is in Caledonia, Wisconsin, in Racine County. Marker is at the intersection of Northwestern Avenue (County Route K) and County Route H, on the right when traveling west on Northwestern Avenue. Marker is located near the entrance to Caledonia-Mount Pleasant Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caledonia WI 53108, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 1888 Bohemian School House (approx. 4˝ miles away); Mound Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Spark (approx. 5.1 miles away); Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 5.2 miles away); Joe (approx. 5.2 miles away); Green Bay Road (approx. 5.3 miles away); Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Wisconsin Registered Landmark No. 102
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,028 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 9, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.