Near Williamsville in Bath County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Settlement on Warm Springs Mountain
According to historical records, a road over Warm Springs Mountain was formally surveyed as early as the 1750s. Archeological evidence and historic documents indicate the site was initially occupied as a tollhouse during the 1830s. Although the primary function of the tollhouse was to collect tolls from travelers, it was also home to several generations of the Hodge family and operated as a self-sufficient farm. Several descendants of the Hodge family still live in the Bath County area.
The tollhouse and Hodge farm were abandoned in the 1910s, possibly at the same time the Warm Springs Mountain Turnpike was transferred from private ownership to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Once abandoned, the buildings fell into disrepair and by 1927, only a portion of one wood frame barn was left standing.
Erected by Virginia Department of Transportation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 38° 3.064′ N, 79° 45.962′ W. Marker is near Williamsville, Virginia, in Bath County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 39 and Homestead Mountain DriveTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsville VA 24487, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Virginia Springs Resorts (here, next to this marker); The Land and Natural Resources of Bath County (a few steps from this marker); Life at the Tollhouse (a few steps from this marker); The Turnpike Movement in Virginia, 1825-1835 (a few steps from this marker); The Rev. Dr. William H. Sheppard (approx. 0.8 miles away); Terrill Hill (approx. 0.8 miles away); Early Bath County Courthouses (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary Johnston (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 737 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 9, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.