Rye in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Purdy Burying Ground
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Colonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1685.
Location. 40° 57.964′ N, 73° 41.248′ W. Marker is in Rye, New York, in Westchester County. Marker can be reached from Milton Road. The Marker is not visible from the road but can be reached by going through the Milton Road Cemetery that lies between Mayfield Street and Rye Beach Avenue; after entering the cemetery, one crosses at the rear of the cemetery that is marked with a plaque reflecting its donation by John M. Morehead in 1950 (Morehead was President of Rye from 1925-30). The bridge crosses a brook and at the end of the bridge on the right is the entrance to the Purdy Burying Ground and the marker is there. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 Milton Road, Rye NY 10580, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milton Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Timothy Knapp House (about 400 feet The Bird Homestead and Rye Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Rye Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); Milton Commercial District (approx. half a mile away); Playland Amusement Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Rye Fort 1675 (approx. 0.8 miles away); This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763 (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rye.
More about this marker. The marker is situated on a rock attached to a low stone wall at the left side of an entrance of the burying ground. The area it refers to is small and in need of care with several broken tombstones and fallen trees.
Regarding The Purdy Burying Ground. From Charles Baird's Chronicle of a Border Town: History of Rye, Westchester County, New York, 1660 - 1870:
"The PURDY family have a burying ground on the western bank of Blind Brook Creek, opposite the public cemetery. This is probably one of the oldest places of interment in Rye. It contains many antique memorials of past generations; but the imperfect records of their names have been worn away by time, and none prior to the present century are now legible."
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. This page has been viewed 1,211 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. 4. submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.