Rye in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763
'Remove not the ancient landmark which thy fathers have set.'(Proverbs XXII Verse 28.)
Erected 1927 by Village of Rye.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical date for this entry is June 1, 1876.
Location. 40° 58.777′ N, 73° 41.05′ W. Marker is in Rye, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is at the intersection of Boston Post Road (Route 1 at milepost 26) and Rectory Street on Boston Post Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Rectory Street, Rye NY 10580, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Rye Fort 1675 (approx. 0.2 miles away); African Cemetery 1860-1964 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Purdy Burying Ground (approx. one mile away); Milton Cemetery The Timothy Knapp House (approx. one mile away); Playland Amusement Park (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Bird Homestead and Rye Meeting House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rye Meeting House (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rye.
More about this marker. The marker is set into a low wall at the rear of Christ's Church.
Regarding This is one of some 230 markers erected on the Boston Post Road in 1763. This mile marker is behind the church that the father of one of Rye's most famous residents (John Jay) helped establish, Christ's Church on Boston Post Road. Though the number has been eroded off by years of age and acid rain, it lies 2 miles from mile marker 24 at the Jay Estate so it should be mile marker 26.
There is an amusing story behind this particular milestone: it was apparently found by publisher GP Putnam in an abandoned lot he purchased in 1922 and he cemented it into the foundation of his country home in Rye on Locust Avenue (the same home he would occupy with his future, second wife and famous aviatrix Amelia Earhart years later.) In 1927, restoration of these mile markers to their place on Boston Post Road was spearheaded by the President of the Village of Rye, John Motley Morehead. Morehead
A puzzling addendum - there is another mile marker #26 one mile up the road and it bears a Rye plaque too but the writing on the milestone itself is different from the other stones in Rye - NY is written in script rather than block letters.
1. Marker 26 removed
The marker was removed from the stone wall on July 17th 2012 with a jackhammer. The marker was damaged during removal.
— Submitted July 30, 2012.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 19, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. 2. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Suzanne Clary of Rye, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.