Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
North Point Lighthouse
The first lantern burned mineral oil. A new lens, installed in 1868, is still in use. The present light source is a 25,000 candlepower lamp rotated electrically and controlled by an automatic clock. The lens focuses a 1,300,000 candlepower signal visible for 25 miles.
Erected 1975 by United States Coast Guard and Milwaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 214.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses, and the Wisconsin Historical Society series lists.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. North Point Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Prehistoric Burial Mound (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Mary's School of Nursing (approx. half a mile away); Saint John's Infirmary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old North Point Water Tower (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lake Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Villa Terrace (approx. ¾ mile away); The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
More about this marker. This marker was replaced by a new one named North Point Light Station (see nearby markers).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 743 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.