Tallulah in Madison Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Battle of Millikenís Bend
Erected 1962 by Louisiana Civil War Centennial Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 32° 26.296′ N, 91° 7.396′ W. Marker is in Tallulah, Louisiana, in Madison Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Thomastown Rd. and Ashley Plantation Rd., on the left when traveling north on Thomastown Rd.. Marker is accessible north Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tallulah LA 71282, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madison Parish Confederate Monument (approx. 4.3 miles away); Tallulah (approx. 4.3 miles away); Schicker Mound (approx. 4.8 miles away); Scottland Plantation House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Crescent Plantation (approx. 5.3 miles away); Burning of Richmond (approx. 6.3 miles away); Skirmish at Richmond (approx. 6.3 miles away); Fitzhugh Mounds (approx. 8Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallulah.
More about this marker. The Milliken's Bend marker appears to be the first in a series commemorating General Grant's 1863 campaign in northern Louisiana.
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Milliken's Bend: Compilation of Official Reports. (Submitted on August 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Milliken's Bend: The Central Role of Black Troops in the Seige of Vicksburg. "... Left behind at Milliken's Bend were 1410 soldiers, only 160 of them white (i.e., the 23rd Iowa regiment). The rest were three newly recruited Black Regiments---The First Mississippi (African Descent) and the Ninth and Eleventh Louisiana (Corps d' Afrique, or African Corps)." (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. U.S. Colored Troops; USCT; 23rd Iowa; 1st Mississippi (A.D.); 9th
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,639 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 6, 7. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.