New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Lower Pontalba Building
— Pontalba Buildings National Historic Landmark —
Erected 1850 - 1851
by Micaela Almonster Baroness De Pontalba
working first with James Gallier, architect,
and then with Henry Howard, architect. Samuel Stewart, builder.
Bequeathed by William Ratcliffe Irby to the Louisiana State Museum in 1927.
This corner was the site of the French colonial Government House, residence of Gov. Etienne De Perier from 1727 until 1731 and of Gov. Jean Baptiste LeMoyne, Sieur de Bienville from 1731 until the house was abandoned in 1738.
On the remainder of the block, barracks buildings designed by Ignace Francois Broutin were begun in 1734, completed in 1738 and demolished by 1759.
This site was later acquired by Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, and various buildings occupied it until the present building was built by his daughter.
Erected by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Hispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers • Women. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 29° 57.496′ N, 90° 3.779′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Chartres Street and St. Ann St., on the right when traveling west on Chartres Street. The marker is on the pillar at the building's west corner entrance facing Chartres St., diagonally across the street from the St. Louis Cathedral and across St. Ann St. from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 523 St Ann Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Presbytère (within shouting distance of this marker); Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Louisiana School (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Square - Vieux Carré (within shouting distance of this marker); Cucullu Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Residence of Don Manuel Lanzos (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quartier General de la Garde Municipale (about 300 feet away); The Cabildo (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . The 1850 House Museum in the Lower Pontalba Building. (Submitted on August 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. 1850 House; Louisiana State Museum.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,492 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.