Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Oldest Colonial Trail

 
 
Oldest Colonial Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
1. Oldest Colonial Trail Marker
Inscription.  
Ancient Indian Warrior / Trading Path. A branch passed through Guilford Co. here, ran from the Great Lakes to Georgia. Used by Colonists in Indian Treaty br 1744 but traveled after 1745 at their own risk. Most heavily traveled Early American Road. English, Scotch – Irish, and German Settlers followed the Quakers down this path ca 1750, as the First White Settlers in Guilford Co. Roanoke to Salem to Salisbury to Charlotte.

Project of 1997-1999 State President
Mary Ann Groome Helper

 
Erected by North Carolina Society Colonial Dames XVII Century.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism ⛪, and the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1744.
 
Location. 35° 58.772′ N, 79° 59.532′ W. Marker is in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker is at the intersection
Oldest Colonial Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
2. Oldest Colonial Trail Marker
The High Point Museum can be seen in this photo behind the marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of E Lexington Avenue and Terrell Drive, on the left when traveling east on E Lexington Avenue. Marker is located adjacent to the High Point Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Point NC 27262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oldest Building in High Point (here, next to this marker); The Hoggat House (a few steps from this marker); The Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Plank Road (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Haley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Little Red Schoolhouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Point University (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
 
Marker on Lexington Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
3. Marker on Lexington Avenue
High Point Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 4, 2010
4. High Point Marker
The Hoggat House, the oldest house in High Point built in 1754, is seen here in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,047 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=34925

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2021