Galloway in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Postle Family Cemetery
Gabriel Postle was the first Postle buried in the cemetery in 1829. Twelve graves are of children under the age of six, which testifies to the hardships endured by the area's early residents. Other graves include those of John Whitehurst, a freed slave who lived with the family of Job Postle, and John Tracy, a veteran of the Civil War. In 1870, Nancy Postle was the last person buried in the cemetery.
Erected 1998 by Darby Woods Elementary School, Westland Area Business Association,
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 39° 56.567′ N, 83° 8.643′ W. Marker is in Galloway, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Gabriel's Run Drive and Gabriel's Landing Drive, on the left when traveling south on Gabriel's Run Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galloway OH 43119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alton Cemetery Veterans Monument (approx. 1½ miles away); 166th Infantry Regiment (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sunset Cemetery War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sunset Cemetery Spanish-American War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Sunset Cemetery All Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Galloway World War II Memorial (approx. 2½ miles away); Camp Chase (approx. 3½ miles away); a different marker also named Camp Chase (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galloway.
More about this marker. Marker was re-erected at Postle Cemetery on Gabriels Run Drive in August 2010. Cemetery and marker are located in a wooded area northeast of intersection of Gabriel's Run Drive and Gabriel's Landing Drive in the Gabriels Landing subdivision. The marker was originally erected on the grounds of the Darby Woods Elementary School (39.94622N, 83.14673W), about 400 yards NW of its new location.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,975 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on September 14, 2010. Photos: 1. submitted on October 7, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2010, by Michele Lowe of Columbus, Ohio. 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 7, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 7, 8. submitted on March 23, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.