Fredericksburg in Gillespie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Market Square (Marktplatz)
This Square, originally a two-block area which included what is now called the Courthouse Square, has been at the center of Fredericksburg since the city's founding in 1846. The area was still heavily forested when the town's Vereins Kirche was built in the center of Main street in 1847. The octagonal building served as a community church, meeting place, school, and refuge from possible Indian attacks.
A county jail was built on the Square in 1852. In 1856 a public schoolhouse was constructed and the school classes moved out of the Vereins Kirche. In 1911 the schoolhouse was converted to serve as headquarters for the volunteer fire department.
The Vereins Kirche, demolished in 1897, was reconstructed in 1934-35 as a pioneer memorial, serving as the county's first museum (1936) and library (1939). As part of its centennial celebration, the State of Texas erected a monument on Market Square in honor of Baron Ottfried Hans Freiherr Von Meusebach, whose colonization efforts led to the founding of Fredericksburg. In 1987 the city purchased the property from the school district. The Market Square has served
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10079.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 30° 16.538′ N, 98° 52.362′ W. Marker is in Fredericksburg, Texas, in Gillespie County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 87/290) east of North Crockett Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in the square north of West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg TX 78624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gillespie County (within shouting distance of this marker); Gillespie County Armed Services Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Otfrid Hans Freiherr von Meusebach (within shouting distance of this marker); Vereins Kirche (within shouting distance of this marker); Gillespie County Country Schools 1846 to 1970's (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Gillespie County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lasting Friendship (about 300 feet away); Jacob Brodbeck (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 802 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2020, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 4. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.