Langtry in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Near Site, Southern Pacific Ceremony of Silver Spike
Marked completion of Southern Pacific Railway. Eastern part originated in Texas in 1850s; then was rechartered 1870 by Texas Legislature as Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Rwy., designed to join Houston and San Antonio to the Rio Grande.
T. W. Pierce of Boston gained control in 1874. Meantime, C. P. Huntington of California was building the Southern Pacific eastward; he wanted a Texas line to join his tracks, and reached agreement with Pierce. On Jan. 12, 1883, the two railroads met near the Pecos High Bridge, and were joined by a Silver Spike. (1967)
Erected 1967 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3567.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Southern Pacific Railroad series list.
Location. 29° 45.945′ N, 101° 23.182′ W. Marker is in Langtry, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on U.S. 90 north of the Pecos River. Marker is one of three Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Langtry TX 78871, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Vinegarroon (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Bridges Over the Pecos (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pecos River in Literature and Folklore (approx. 4.6 miles away); Pecos River High Bridge (approx. 4.6 miles away); Pecos High Bridge (approx. 4.6 miles away); Medal of Honor Fight, 1875 (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fitzsimmons-Maher Prizefight (approx. 10˝ miles away); Eagle’s Nest (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Langtry.
More about this marker. Google Maps identifies the area as Del Rio Northwest, TX
Also see . . . The Southern Transcontinental Railroad. “Several miles of old grades, foundations for trestles and spans, and railroad tunnels are visible to today's visitors to Amistad National Recreation Area.” (Submitted on February 4, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 825 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.