Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Dr. J. Marion Sims
DR. J. MARION SIMS
Here, in 1845, he performed the first closure of a vesico-vaginal fistula with wire suture, using a pewter spoon as speculum. This operation made him famous throughout the world.
Erected 1930 by Montgomery County Medical Society / The Alabama Anthropological Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Science & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 32° 22.591′ N, 86° 18.441′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Perry Street south of Dexter Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Building is now occupied by a cash loans company. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 South Perry Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill (here, next to this marker); Confederate States of America (CSA) Post Office Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Korean War Veterans (within shouting distance Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chris’ Hot Dogs (about 300 feet away); A County Older Than the State (about 300 feet away); Telegram Which Began War Between The States / Winter Building (about 500 feet away); Lower Dexter Park (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 4. submitted on September 10, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.