Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Thames House

 
 
Thames House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 6, 2010
1. Thames House Marker
Inscription.  Res. of Wm. Thames (1796-1892) pioneer citizen of Clayton, formerly Henry, County; veteran of the War of 1812; owner of a saw & grist mill on Flint River; pastor of Tanner’s Church.

Aug. 31, 1864. Troops of the Federal 23rd & 4th A. C., marching east from Red Oak, passed this house enroute to the Macon & Western (now the C. of Ga. R. R.) which was seized at points above & below Quick Station (Forest Park). This move severed the last of the railroads entering Atlanta & forced Gen. Hood [CS] to abandon the city -- night of Sept. 1st. The seizure of the R. R. was coincident with the first of the two battles in Hardee’s [CS] defense of Jonesboro.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-18.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 1, 1929.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 
Thames House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 6, 2010
2. Thames House Marker
Looking northwest on Clark Howell Highway (on the left)
Click or scan to see
this page online
36.933′ N, 84° 24.217′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker was at the intersection of Clark Howell Highway and Blalock Industrial Boulevard (State Highway 331), on the right when traveling north on Clark Howell Highway. Located just NW of the intersection of Clark Howell Highway and GA-85. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30349, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. The Extended Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site: The Mann House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Baird’s Div., 14th A.C. (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site: Marcus Long House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Transfer Point (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rough and Ready (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jonesboro Threatened (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rough and Ready Tavern (approx. 2.2 miles away).
 
Additional commentary.
1. Marker appears to be missing.
This marker does not appear in Google Street View. Although there appears to be no access to older Street View images, reviewing the satellite view in Google Earth historical images, an 8/24/2015 image shows the area as bulldozed, preparing for a modification of the intersection Clark Howell Highway with Forest Parkway. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
Thames House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, October 6, 2010
3. Thames House Marker
Looking southeast on Clark Howell Highway toward the intersection with Georgia Highway 85
    — Submitted December 28, 2021, by Bill Witherspoon of Decatur, Georgia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,288 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 8, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on October 9, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=36727

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 27, 2022