Near Elberton in Elbert County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
>>>>--- 8 mi. --->
“The Point,” where early settlers crossed into Georgia, is eight miles east of here. As soon as this area was ceded, Governor Wright opened a post at the confluence of the Broad and Savannah Rivers, known as Fort James. “The Point” became the gateway for settlers from Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina who registered there and secured their tracts of land. A land court at Dartmouth, which grew up around the fort, was held from September 1773 through June 1775 to open this section. In 1777 all this ceded land was, by the State Constitution, created into Wilkes County.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 052-8A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 34° 3.709′ N, 82° 39.164′ W. Marker is near Elberton, Georgia, in Elbert County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elberton GA 30635, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Olin D. Johnston Memorial Boulevard (approx. 1.1 miles away in South Carolina); Millwood (approx. 1.1 miles away in South Carolina); Bethlehem Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Welcome to Calhoun Falls State Recreation Area (approx. 3.3 miles away in South Carolina); Calhoun Falls World War I and II Veterans Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away in South Carolina); Richard B. Russell Dam (approx. 4.4 miles away in South Carolina); Gov. Heard’s Home (approx. 5.3 miles away); "Old Dan Tucker" (approx. 5.3 miles away); USS Scorpion (SS-278) (approx. 7.3 miles away); Bobby Brown State Park Monument (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elberton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 861 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on March 23, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.