Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Petersburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Prince George Court House Road

 
 
Prince George Court House Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 30, 2010
1. Prince George Court House Road Marker
Inscription.  This old road was used by both Confederate and Union Armies in the fighting around Petersburg.
 
Erected by Petersburg National Battlefield Park.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesWar, US Civil.
 
Location. 37° 13.957′ N, 77° 22.137′ W. Marker is in Petersburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Siege Road, 1.6 miles south of East Washington Street (Virginia Route 36). This marker is in Petersburg National Battlefield Park near the Eastern Front Driving Tour Stop #5 - Fort Stedman. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Petersburg VA 23803, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Siege of Petersburg—Lee Strikes Back (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Final Effort (about 400 feet away); Fort Stedman (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Stedman (about 500 feet away); First Maine Heavy Artillery Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wasted Valor (approx. 0.2
Prince George Court House Road trace image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, October 30, 2010
2. Prince George Court House Road trace
Click or scan to see
this page online
miles away); Colquitt’s Salient (approx. ¼ mile away); Gracie’s Salient (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petersburg.
 
Also see . . .  Petersburg National Battlefield. (Submitted on October 31, 2010.)
 
Hare House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bradley Owen, October 19, 2021
3. Hare House Site Marker
Though no longer standing, the house was a landmark around which action took place on June 18, 1864 and during General Lee’s last grand offensive on March 25, 1865. The location is passed from this marker towards the site of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery Regiment Monument.
Hare House Site image. Click for full size.
By Bradley Owen, October 19, 2021
4. Hare House Site
The historic Prince George Court House Road trace is located in the woods behind the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 666 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 31, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.   3, 4. submitted on October 21, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37409

Paid Advertisement
Oct. 24, 2021