Selma in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
— The first recorded name of Selma —
Jean Baptiste Le Moyne Sieur de Bienville,
Governor of the Province,
The Alibamo Indians.
In 1714 Bienville made a friendly visit to this section.
Erected 1932 by National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Alabama.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list.
Location. 32° 24.359′ N, 87° 1.21′ W. Marker is in Selma, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Avenue and Lauderdale Street, on the left when traveling west on Water Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Selma AL 36701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Selma Army Arsenal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arsenal Place (about 400 feet away); Edmund Pettus Bridge The Sleeping Prophet (about 500 feet away); Federal Building and U.S. Court House (about 500 feet away); Lieutenant John Tillman Melvin (about 500 feet away); Burning of Downtown (about 600 feet away); This Tablet Commemorates the Visit of Lafayette (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selma.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,086 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.