Rexford in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Second aqueduct erected on
site to carry Erie Canal
across Mohawk River.
Nearby are Locks 21 & 22
and a former canal store.
Erected by Clifton Park Bicentennial Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 51.097′ N, 73° 53.251′ W. Marker is in Rexford, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Balltown Road (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling north. The marker is on the right as you enter the Town of Clifton Park after crossing the bridge over the Mohawk River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Historic Rexford Aqueduct (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rexford Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rexford House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Alplaus (approx. 0.7 miles away); Southard House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Country Club Acres, 1957 Yates Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); In Grateful Memory (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rexford.
Regarding Aqueduct, 1842. The Rexford Aqueduct was built to carry the Erie Canal across the Mohawk River in 1842. It was built as part of the enlargement of the Erie Canal and replaced the smaller original Rexford Aqueduct. After the 1842 Rexford aqueduct was build just a few yards east of and down stream of the original aqueduct. The piers of the original aqueduct became the base of a toll bridge across the river. When the current canal system, The Barge Canal System as it was called in 1916, was put in place most of the aqueduct was disassembled to allow navigation in the canalized Mohawk River, yet the state retained portions of the aqueduct for use as the base of a highway bridge across the river. In 1964 the state widened the roadway which is NY Route 146. The Rt. 146 bridge that is there now was designed by the New York State Department of Public Works and opened in 1965. When they built the new bridge, just upstream of the aqueduct, they removed some of the arches of the aqueduct, thus widening the navigable channel.
Also see . . .
1. The Rexford Aqueduct page of The Erie Canal website. (Submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Erie Canal (Enlarged), Upper Mohawk River Aqueduct, Mohawk River, State Route 146, Rexford, Saratoga. (Submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on November 11, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.