Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Glenwood in Catron County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Mogollon

 
 
Mogollon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
1. Mogollon Marker
Inscription.  The mountains and the town were named for Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollón, governor of New Mexico from 1712 to 1715. The name also is applied to the Pueblo Indians who abandoned the area in the early 1400s. These mountains were inhabited by Apaches until the late 19th Century.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraHispanic AmericansNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1712.
 
Location. 33° 21.798′ N, 108° 54.083′ W. Marker is near Glenwood, New Mexico, in Catron County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 180 at milepost 47.2 and Bursum Road (State Road 159), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 180. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glenwood NM 88039, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Catwalk (approx. 3.1 miles away); You're Looking at Wilderness .. the First Wilderness! (approx. 13.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  The Mogollon. Several Mogollon groups clustered within roughly 100 miles east and
Mogollon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
2. Mogollon Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
west of the New Mexico and Arizona border and extended some unknown distance southward into Chihuahua and Sonora. (Submitted on September 29, 2010.) 
 
Rear of the Mogollon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 19, 2010
3. Rear of the Mogollon Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 971 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on November 21, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38255

Paid Advertisement
May. 10, 2021