Elkins Park in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site
The first mill on the site erected in 1746 was owned and operated by Dorothy Penrose Shoemaker, a descendant of Richard Wall. In 1847 their neighbor and employee Charles Bosler, whose business was hauling grain to the mill and flour to the city, bought the mill, the main house and 70 additional acres. The name changed to C. Bosler and Sons when his sons entered the business. They then improved the building in the 1880's by expanding the upper floors and adding a cupola in the Second Empire style. In the next decade, they put in a 72 horsepower steam engine capable of turning out 150 barrels of flour a day. The mill won first prize at the Pure Food Exposition in 1901 for its Cheltenham A brand of flour. During World War I the mill changed to electric power and was able to meet the increased demand for special horse feed. The mill closed in 1923 and was demolished in 1927. The Bosler family was well known in the community and held positions in the United States Treasury office, Cheltenham School Board and Board of Commissioners, banks, insurance companies and the Union League.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 40° 4.692′ N, 75° 7.726′ W. Marker is in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Wall Park Drive near Church Road, on the left when traveling west. Marker is in Wall Park, about 100 feet SSW of the Richard Wall House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Wall Park Drive, Elkins Park PA 19027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Wall House (The Ivy) (within shouting distance of this marker); First Assembly of Abington Friends Meeting (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth Sholom Synagogue (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Church Road and Washington Lane Historic Crossroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lucretia C. Mott (approx. one mile away); Camp William Penn (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkins Park.
Also see . . .
1. About Cheltenham Township. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Hotchkin's The York Road, Old and New, published 1892. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Mills of Cheltenham. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.