Near Womelsdorf in Berks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
An Indian path from Shamokin (Sunbury) came over the mts. by way of Klingerstown and Pine Grove to Weiser's place in the Tulpehocken Valley. Chiefs of the Six Nations, carrying "words of wampum" to Brother Onas (Penn) at Philadelphia, traveled this path.
Erected 1951 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
Location. 40° 21.604′ N, 76° 10.303′ W. Marker is near Womelsdorf, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker is on Penn Avenue/Benjamin Franklin Highway (U.S. 422), on the right when traveling east. Marker is along the northern boundary of the Conrad Weiser Homestead. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Weiser Lane, Womelsdorf PA 19567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home and Grave of Conrad Weiser (a few steps from this Conrad Weiser (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Conrad Weiser, 1729-1760 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Is this Weiser's House? (about 600 feet away); Charming Forge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Robesonia Furnace (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fort Zeller (approx. 2.9 miles away); Marion Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Womelsdorf.
Also see . . .
1. Conrad Weiser Homestead. (Submitted on December 6, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Map of the Tulpehocken Path. (Submitted on December 6, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Indian Paths of Pennsylvania. (Submitted on December 6, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 716 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.