Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
65th Ohio Infantry.
Lieut. Col. W.A. Bullitt, 3rd KY.
Lieutenant Colonel. W.A. Bullitt, 3rd Kentucky.
November 25, 1863
Killed 1, Wounded 13.
Erected 1908 by State of Ohio. (Marker Number MT-297.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Bragg Reservation, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is November 25, 1863.
Location. 35° 1.206′ N, 85° 15.77′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road south of East Main Street, on the left when traveling south. This marker (tablet) is located on Missionary Ridge, in the Bragg Reservation. Once you have entered the Bragg Reservation you will find this marker on the northern border of the Bragg Reservation, looking over the Interstate 24 cut through the ridge. According to the location Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 64th Ohio Infantry (here, next to this marker); 22nd Illinois Infantry (here, next to this marker); 125th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Havis' Georgia Battery (a few steps from this marker); 97th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 51st Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Illinois State Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Cobb's Kentucky Battery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. It is only my impression, but it almost appears as if the original text on this tablet was removed and some make-do basic information was added to a do-over, bare bones, tablet.
According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “3' x 2' bronze inscription tablet with decorative border mounted on low marble pedestal. Describes the unit's activities on November 25, 1863.”
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on April 1, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.