Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
111th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment
Second Brigade - Second Division
Veteran Volunteer Infantry.
Lieut. Col. Thomas M. Walker, Commanding.
Cobham's 2nd Brigade. Geary's 2nd Division.
Slocum's 12th Corps.
The regiment occupied this position on the 25th day of November and in double column on centre, charged the summit, but the enemy had retreated and no loss occurred in the engagement.
Erected 1905 by State of Pennsylvania. (Marker Number MT-331.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Missionary Ridge, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is November 25, 1863.
Location. 35° 0.184′ N, 85° 16.291′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road north of East View Drive, on the right when traveling south. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, “Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 444 South Crest Road, Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Geary's Division (here, next to this marker); 29th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment (a few steps from this marker); Ireland's New York Brigade (a few steps from this marker); 76th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 7th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Stovall's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 66th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Cobham's Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the, “17" x 10" x 5' high, marker is a rectangular slab of granite topped by a bronze inscription tablet giving unit designation, commanders and campaign history."
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 865 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.