Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
William (Uncle Bill) Lewis
William Lewis came to Chattanooga in 1837 when it was still called Ross' Landing. He continued to work and soon paid for his own freedom. In 1851 Lewis purchased the freedom of his mother, brother and sister. He operated a blacksmith shop at this location and became very prosperous during the civil war. His men forged the shackles for Andrews' Raiders after the famous locomotive chase from Big Shanty, Georgia, to Chattanooga, and his son, George, fitted them on each prisoner.
Erected 1990 by Mary Walker Historical and Educational Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1810.
Location. 35° 2.905′ N, 85° 18.566′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, TennesseeTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central Block Building / Site of First Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); William "Uncle Bill" Lewis (a few steps from this marker); Miller Brothers Department Store c. 1898 (within shouting distance of this marker); Chattanooga Daily Rebel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); G. W. Franklin (about 700 feet away); Ochs/Times Building (about 800 feet away); Old Library Building (about 800 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,017 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 4, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.