Grand Canyon National Park in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
El Tovar Hotel
Begun 1903, Completed 1905
Named for Don Pedro de Tovar, the first European to visit the Hopi Indian villages in 1540, the hotel was constructed by Hopi Indian craftsmen at a cost of $250,000 employing logs shipped by train from Oregon and native Kaibab Limestone. The El Tovar Hotel has been host to thousands of visitors since its dedication in 1905 and is operated by the National Parks Division of Fred Harvey, Inc. The El Tovar Hotel has been listed in the Historical Registry of the United States since September 6, 1974.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 36° 3.457′ N, 112° 8.234′ W. Marker is in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is adjacent to the entrance to the El Tovar Hotel, off Village Loop Drive in Grand Canyon Village. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Canyon AZ 86023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker Hopi House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hopi House (within shouting distance of this marker); Santa Fe Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Canyon Depot (about 400 feet away); Verkamp's Curios (about 400 feet away); CCC Legacy (about 500 feet away); Trans-Canyon Telephone Line (about 600 feet away); Bright Angel Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Canyon National Park.
Also see . . . Harvey Houses. Biography of Fred Harvey and historical information on the Fred Harvey Company. (Submitted on January 5, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,209 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 5, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 6. submitted on January 6, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.